Saturday, January 17, 2009

Psychotic Break?

I've been reading over some of these posts and I've come to a realization.  I think I've been hitting myself in the head long enough.  Why would anyone read what I write and walk away feeling like being a Christian is something that they want to do.  Every post seems to end with some version of "and here's why I'm terrible at being a Christian."  I think that I'm done with that.  I am, probably for the first time in my life, getting my head around what grace is and why it matters.  I'm not going to say that I can go do whatever I want and it's all good.  I'm not going to pretend that the ideas of righteousness and holiness don't really apply because God knows my heart and understands.  I've had a faith crisis of sorts over the last few months and I feel like I'm on the other side of it now.  I can say that I am tragically and fundamentally flawed, but God's grace covers that.  As long as I am reaching for the cross, it will sustain me.  Jesus didn't come to earth and carry my sins so that I could wring my hands every day wondering how it's all going to work out.  What do I have need of?  I have a Savior and he works on my behalf.  Is there something more that I need that I'm missing?
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Jason Sharpe said...

I think that many of us feel the same way about our walks with God. The thing that we must begin to focus on is that God knew from the beginning that we could never be perfect at following Him. In fact, He knew that it would be a daily struggle. But it is this struggle with ourselves, with the flesh, with the mind, with the world, that faith really comes into being. We must come to the realization that Christ lived the perfect life and carried the cross so that we will never have to. Now as a Christian, we must strive to become like Christ. That means that our desires must focus more on Him and the relationship with Him and less of the world. I'm know that I will never be the perfect man of God others would imagine, but I can be the creation God has designed from the beginning. The awesome thing about God is He loves us even though we have many faults, after all he knew about us before were even born. His only desire is for us to realize that without Him, we are nothing. I guess that is why I believe santification is a process that we will never fully achieve until we see Him face to face. Anyway thanks for sharing and causing me to continually keep my mind on Him. Working until He comes...